The hiring process for a new employee has a number of stages – evaluating the need and requirements for the position, advertising, conducting interviews, finalizing the most appropriate candidate and then hiring them.
But there is another crucial step that is needed for the successful integration into the company of the employee. That is ‘onboarding’.
A successful onboarding plan will introduce the newcomer to the company and its staff, its processes, the company’s expectations etc., in a timely and professional manner.
Here are the key steps for a clean onboarding:
Before Start Date:
- Coordinate with new employee about the start date and time.
- Ensure those in the company who need to know do know about the new hire.
- Organize seating arrangement, email etc.
- Welcome the employee.
- Introduce to everyone. Complement that with an in-house email.
- Activate email and other applications (for example, access to shared documents, applications etc.,)
- Deliver NDA, employment contract etc., for signature.
- Get the Personal Information Form filled out for HR and Accounting. This should include bank account details, void check etc.
- Discuss the expectations, key performance indicators (KPIs) etc.